Before diving into individual Stack On gun safe reviews and which of them is the best gun safe, taking a look at the company as whole can give you a feel of their professionalism and experience in the industry.
Stack-On is over 40 years old as it was founded in 1972. Labeling itself as a tool storage company, they offer a variety of storage products such as:
- Toolboxes, tool chests, and work benches
- Assembled and RTA (ready to assemble) garage storage
- Storage boxes, drawer cabinets, and bin storage for inside your home
- A huge and diverse line-up of secure storage products from personal cases to large rifle safes
Stack-On operates and is located in Illinois. It actually owns and operates its own manufacturing facility, which is in Wauconda, IL, and its own storage and fulfillment center near Chicago. That means, from the start of the manufacturing process all the way to getting the safe or other product into the mail for delivery, they company is involved. This hands-on approach shows that they have a great deal of concern over the quality of their products and the satisfaction of their customers.
Stack On Gun Safes and Gun Cabinets
While Stack-On manufacturers all types of storage, here at BoomstickBoxes.com we are mainly only concerned with their secure storage. They offer something for everyone, so no matter what your budget, you should be able to find something that gives you at least the minimum level of acceptable security for your rifle or firearm collection. However, they offer plenty of higher end choices as well.
All Steel Stack On Gun Cabinets
The first level of long gun safes are the security gun cabinets. These are more like a gun locker than a vault, but if your main concern is keeping your firearms out of the hands of those who may misuse them, these will do the job. All of the cabinets in this series are fitted with key locks only. They all come with pre-drilled mounting holes and are DOJ approved.
Full-Sized Security Rifle Safes
These are a little sturdier and a little more finished than the above options. They include tough live action locking bolts as well as a solid steel dead bolt. These all come with the option of either a combination dial lock or an electric keypad lock. These are great if you have some scoped rifles because they all include patented standoffs and barrel rests. They too are all DOJ approved.
If you need something that will protect your valuable collection from a potential fire, this series is for you for. They are all ETL rated for most normal house fires that will reach a maximum of 1400 degrees Fahrenheit at their peak for 30 minutes. Like the others, this series is DOJ approved, so you not only get protection from fires and high temperatures, but from thieves as well. You can have your choice of either a combination lock or an electric keypad for each of the various sizes that these are offered in.
Stack-On Elite Series
The Elite series basically takes the fireproof safes and adds increased capacity. They have the same fire ratings as the series above, but the range from a 16-gun capacity all the way up to a whopping 66 guns. All of them come with adjustable shelves so you have a little leeway in how you organize the interior. They come with the option of either a dial lock or an electric keypad.
High End Total Defense Safes
These are more serious higher capacity rifle safes. They offer some the best protection that you can find at their particular price points giving the owner some serious value.
They are not only fireproof (the same ETL rating as those listed above), but they are water-resistant for 3 days in up to 2 feet of standing water. If you live in a region that typically floods during storm seasons, these Total Defense safes are something worth seriously considering. The 28-gun model is one of the most popular options and might be their best gun safe.
There are also some smaller less developed specialty series like the Woodland series which have a more outdoors design style, the Sovereign series which have a higher fire-resistance rating than other options, and Tactical Security series designed specifically to store and secure tactical firearms.
They also have lots of handgun and personal safe options available, as well as accessories like pistol racks and cordless dehumidifiers. They even have a line of bow hunting safes, their Buck Commander series, which you may be familiar with from the popular television series, Duck Dynasty.
Which of These is Right For You?
Before you make a choice on which Stack-On gun safe is the right one for you, check out these gun safe buyer’s tips:
- Not Every Rifle Safe Is Created Equal – Make sure that you feel comfortable with the rifle safe that has caught your eye, as there are a variety of different types of models to choose from, including biometric safe, fingerprint safe, fireproof safe, in-wall safe, and etc. Each of them has different features and are of different sizes; therefore, their prices vary. At the moment, the fingerprint safe is one of the most popular options on the market.
- Read Reviews from Consumers – Before putting your wallet out, make sure to read reviews online of the rifle safe that you want to purchase, as it might not be exactly what you’re hoping to attain. There are various reputable online sites that allow consumers to review their most recent purchases, like Amazon. Opting to read reviews can help you in making the adequate choice.
- Check Fire Rating – Fire ratings should be one of your top priorities when purchasing a rifle safe. Safes that have less than one hour fire rating are not able to provide the appropriate protection to survive a typical fire. If you are on a tight budget, choose a safe that has the longest fire protection that you can afford. If you stop to think about it, it’s better to prevent than lament. A safe can resist smoke and heat for 30 to 150 minutes.
- Buy a Big Safe – It’s always best to purchase a bigger safe than you think you need, as you are going to keep it for many years to come, and you don’t know what other rifle you’re going to purchase in the future that you will end up needing a safe for. Purchasing a safe that goes hand in hand with the measure of your current rifles might cost you more money down the road if you attain a rifle that is of a lengthy measurement.
- Measure Dimensions before Buying Rifle Safe – If your space is tight, don’t go ahead and trust the advertised dimensions for rifle safes, as they are often adjusted to go hand in hand with the dimensions of the models of competitors; therefore, it’s important that you measure the one that you want before actually proceeding to buying it.
- Durable Structure – It’s critical that you are buying a rifle safe that’s going to last you for many years to come. What is it made of? This is a very important question to ask. You want a rifle safe that is made of strong material that provides a solid structure that won’t disintegrate down the road.
- Find out about the Warranty – A great percentage of companies provide a different warranty on their rifle safe models. If the rifle safe that you want to purchase doesn’t come with a warranty, it’s best to opt for another model, as it’s better to be safe than sorry. You don’t want to end up paying a meaningful sum only to end paying more at the end of the day.
- Find out Your State’s Law on Rifle Safes – Several states, like California, require that gun safes, in general, meet certain storage requirements. Make sure to abide by every rule stated. It’s better to do everything by the book so that you can avoid any issues that might become present in the near future due to whatever reason.
- Learn about Safe’s Lifetime – This is a detail that a lot of rifle owners overlook. What is the required maintenance? There are some safes that can last you for 3 to 10 years, while others can last you over 100 years if you properly maintain them.
- Compare – Narrow down your choices and then opt to compare them in order to know which one stands out from the crowd. If you want an electronic safe, find out how many times do you have to replace batteries every year. In general, for any safe, you have to find out about the number of combinations that it comes with, security, combination visibility, reliability, opening time, and optional features. There are some that come with custom dials and rings, silent alarm code, master codes, and etc. There’s a rifle safe for everyone, but in order to find the ideal one for you, you need to compare in order to know which one meets your needs, wants, and of course, wallet status.
From basic bare bones gun cabinets to super secure fireproof and waterproof options, Stack-On has you covered. All of the secure storage meant for firearms is California State DOJ approved, so you know it’s well made and built to last. You are sure to find something that fits both your needs and your budget.
In general, actual consumers and users of many of these safes from all of the various series have had lots of positive things to say about. There is a good amount of common recurring praise about both the value you get for your money, and they overall quality of the designs. Many people also rave about how understanding and accommodating Stack-On’s customer service is, which is a big plus when you are investing in a product like a safe.
For individual gun safe reviews where we go into more detail about each specific safe, please check out the sidebar links.